Friday, December 9, 2011

Eveningtime

I am working in my office in Kigali. It is 6:20 and not too many people are around. It is already dark and the lights of Kigali twinkle on the hills across from me. I am listening to an amazing Armin van Buuren set from May 2011 in Washington DC. It is hard to explain how uplifting I find good trance music sometimes. It is providing the perfect soundtrack for me right now. Energetic, beautiful, slightly melancholy. It is exactly what I need.

It looks to be another lovely evening in Kigali, but that is a redundant statement, since in my experience every evening here is lovely. My window is open and a nice breeze is blowing through the office. I can see several kilometers away the bright lights of what I assume is the main stadium in town. Perhaps there is a football game tonight. There was an almost full moon out a bit ago, but it has now disappeared behind clouds.

I picked up my long-term Rwandan visa and work permit today. So I am now officially approved to be in the country and work through June. There is no turning back now.

It is now almost seven. I have been catching up on email and such as I write this. I think I will tear myself away from Armin and go for a short run. Then I will make some pasta for dinner and sit on my balcony, listen to the mosque and the church and the sounds of the neighborhood, and try and get a little more work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment