Sunday, March 25, 2012

Back in Kigali

I am back in Kigali after nine days in Cairo with Doreen. I took an overnight flight and arrived "home" around 11:30am this morning. I spent much of the afternoon napping. I have a cold and some sort of mild but annoying stomach ailment. The overnight flight wore me down. I did not sleep much.

Cairo was fun. It is an amazing city. It's gigantic, energetic, and noisy. It was fun to wander and explore different neighborhoods. We also saw the pyramids, which were great. Most of all, it was great to spend time with Doreen: talking, wandering around, exploring, and sharing some good meals.

Cairo is a bustling and noisy place. It's a little overwhelming. Kigali is incredibly quiet by comparison. And today things seem even quieter than usual. I think the guesthouse is almost empty. It feels deserted. It is the last day of "spring" break at KIST. Classes start tomorrow, although my first class isn't until Tuesday.

I will be teaching only two classes next semester: Atomic & Molecular Physics and Mathematical Physics II. Both courses are for third-year physics majors. Each class will have 36 students. Right now I'm not particularly psyched to start teaching again, but once the term starts up I think I'll get more motivated.

It is odd to be back. On the one hand, Kigali does feel a little bit like a home of sorts---certainly more so than the hotel we were at in Cairo, which was fair at best. My bed here is comfortable and I have my own space. But on the other hand, I feel more acutely homesick than I have in a while. I think once I get into the rhythm of the semester and once I get rid of this cold/stomach illness, my outlook will be more positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment