Thursday, March 15, 2012

Halftime

Semester I is now over. I have graded all 240 exams. There is a cheating issue I need to deal with. And I am sure there will be more paperwork. There is always more paperwork. But so far as I am concerned, Semester I is done. I am also almost exactly at the half-way point of my time in Kigali. I have been in Rwanda for 107 days. In 109 days I will get on a plane and return home.

I have a flood of thoughts about my time here so far, but none of them seem to be fully formed. There is not a simple story to tell about Rwanda, Kigali, or KIST. Nor is there a simple way to sum up my time in Kigali so far. I have moments of confusion and contemplation about Rwanda, moments of personal introspection, and much of the time I'm too busy working to have any deep thoughts at all.

Tomorrow I depart for Cairo. Doreen is presently on her way there, flying over the Atlantic. If we're both on schedule, we will arrive within an our of each other. I am very much looking forward to decompressing and spending some time hanging out and exploring Cairo and environs.

Tonight I am on my balcony. It is nice and cool after a hot and dry day. Crickets and dogs provide a soundtrack. A half-moon is visible through the trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment